Got Acne? Five Ways You’re Making it Worse
Some 95 percent of Americans experience acne at some point in their lives, both during the teenage years and into adulthood. Unfortunately, the DIY acne treatment route that many take can actually make the condition worse.
Here are five ways you may be making your acne worse:
- Scrubbing: Your facial skin is delicate. While a gentle scrub can help keep it beautifully polished, overdoing it can do some serious damage – especially if you’re experiencing an acne breakout. Scrubbing your skin can aggravate the skin and prompt additional breakouts.
- Excessive product: Along the same lines, using too much of any topical product – even a great one – an cause excessive dryness, redness, irritation and peeling.
- Popping: It seems it never fails – the day you’ve got a date, a job interview or a photo shoot, your complexion gets an unsightly surprise. While you may be tempted to nip it in the bud with a pick or a squeeze, know that pimple popping ultimately worsens the issue. It pushes infectious material deeper into the skin and the tiny opening that results invites more bacteria into affected areas. Plus, you risk permanent scarring.
- Skipping moisturizer: Those who regularly deal with acne often make the mistake of skipping moisturizer, believing that it will interfere with acne treatment or make their skin oily. But moisture and oil are different things and serve different functions. Slacking on moisture can dry out your skin, prompting it to pump up its oil production, leading to more outbreaks.
- Tanning: Whether beneath the genuine sun or in a tanning bed, getting that bronze glow can temporarily camouflage acne breakouts and scars. While that may seem a positive thing, tanning actually also leads to more acne by boosting oil production in the skin. It’s a vicious, unsightly circle.
Your best bet for a clear, healthy complexion is to consult a skincare specialist who can provide a custom treatment just for you. If you live in the New Jersey area, schedule a consultation at Metropolitan Dermatology’s Clark, Keary, Teaneck or Staten Island locations.
- Acne Treatment (5)
- Allergy Treatment (1)
- Botox (11)
- Chemical Peels (10)
- Cold Sores (1)
- CoolSculpting (2)
- Current Specials (7)
- Hair Loss Treatment (1)
- Laser Hair Removal (1)
- metropolitan dermatology news (7)
- News (10)
- Practice News (3)
- Promotions (4)
- Skin Cancer (2)
- Skin Tips (2)
- Skincare Products (3)
- Uncategorized (2)