September is Healthy Aging Month – How Do You Age Beautifully?
You can’t help getting older – it’s a fact of life. But you certainly can take control of how you age. And today, Baby Boomers in or eyeing retirement and Generation Xers hitting their mid-40s are choosing to age beautifully.
To that end, Carolyn Worthington, editor-in-chief of Healthy Aging Magazine created an annual campaign that recognizes September as Healthy Aging Month and celebrates all the ways that people today are debunking the woe-is-me perceptions of what getting older means and instead embracing their years. Here’s how you can do it, too:
- Stop acting your age: Many publications, and perhaps well-meaning friends, love to load you down with lists of what’s supposedly appropriate – or not – for people over 20, 30, 40, 50, etc. They’ll tell you what and what not to wear, how and how not to style your hair, how to now hot to behave. Forget it! Wear the short skirt, dye your hair that shocking shade of pink, laugh out loud and be the first on the dance floor. Live life the way you want.
- Stop sweating the small stuff: By now, you’ve learned that the small stuff tends to work itself out. And anyway, all that stress only serves to age your skin long before it’s time. Focus on your biggest, newest, most exiting goals and surround yourself with positive people who enjoy life as much as you do.
- Get moving: Though the earlier you begin a regular exercise routine, the better, it’s never too late. Consult your doctor if necessary, but commit to some amount of heart-revving, fun, physical activity daily. A walk outside is a great way to start and you may even meet a few new friends while you’re out and about.
- Fall in love again: Alone and longing for a new companion? Don’t let your own negative perceptions of or fears about age keep you from putting yourself out there. Seek opportunities to connect with other singles your age and take a chance. Still with a longtime spouse or significant other? Find ways to rekindle the fire that first attracted you.
- Try something new: Volunteer for a cause that piques your interest; go back to school; take a dance, art or music class; visit a new city, state or country; adopt a pet – the ways to experience something or someone new are endless and help to keep you feeling, acting and looking young.
Speaking of looking young, Metropolitan Dermatology can help assure that your outside beautifully reflects how you feel on the inside. Visit your nearest location in Clark, Kearny, Teaneck, Jersey City, West New York or Staten Island to learn about all the youth-restoring cosmetic dermatology services we offer and find out which are best for you.
The post September is Healthy Aging Month – How Do You Age Beautifully? appeared first on Metropolitan Dermatology.
- Acne Treatment (5)
- Allergy Treatment (1)
- Botox (11)
- Chemical Peels (10)
- Cold Sores (1)
- CoolSculpting (2)
- Current Specials (7)
- Hair Loss Treatment (1)
- Laser Hair Removal (1)
- metropolitan dermatology news (7)
- News (10)
- Practice News (3)
- Promotions (4)
- Skin Cancer (2)
- Skin Tips (2)
- Skincare Products (3)
- Uncategorized (2)